Dinner outside: chickpea burgers, lentil & chickpea salad (with fresh herbs!), with grilled mushrooms, asparagus, potato, and cauliflower.
To make the burgers:
- take 4 cups of cooked chickpeas (or warmed canned chickpeas) and put them in a food processor with 3/4 cup ground oats (you can use either pre-ground oats or put some rolled oats into a coffee grinder.) process this until the chickpeas are no longer wholly visible.
- measure out 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp thyme, 1 tsp crushed bay leaf (optional), a dash hot pepper (we have cayenne), 1 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp sea salt, and 2 tsp tarragon (we had fresh tarragon and it totally MADE this dish.) mix it all with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- put the chickpea mixture and the spices into a big bowl. slowly pour in vegetable stock as you knead everything together, making everything stick together, but not liquidy. you should end up with one big solid mass, that’s a little sticky but holds together.
- carefully grill, bake, or heat in a sautee pan. serve with lots of vegan mayo and grilled bread.
To make the chickpea lentil salad, just combine:
- cooked red lentils & chickpeas
- fresh finely chopped carrot, onions, and corn
- fresh finely minced oregano, tarragon, and basil
- equal parts oil and balsamic (or apple cider) vinegar